Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Perils of Grocery Stores

This past week I decided to try something new. I went to a regular grocery store.

Not happening again. At least not that store.

The produce section was severely lacking - there were exactly 4 zucchinis when I went. I couldn't find any romaine heads, and the bagged salads were two for $7. $7 for a less than a week's worth of salad doesn't sound like a good idea. The berries might have been a decent price, but this store has a history of moldy fruit. The mangos looked kinda sad. Have I mentioned that I love baked goods? It's hard to pass by an Enteman's sale or a sale on Life cereal even when you're not eating Paleo.

The main reason I would go to this store is the meat section, but I think I can probably do about the same at the Trader Joe's I normally frequent. I did score a bit on the cheese, so maybe it will become a 5 minute stop on the way home from work for cheese and cheese alone, maybe meat too. I also got the single spaghetti squash, but not much else from the produce department. I think I'll stick to TJ's for my weekly grocery needs. It's better quality and more variety.

My weekly grocery list usually looks something like this:
Veggies - zucchini, spinach, romaine, squash or eggplant, onions, cauliflower, sometimes peppers or tomatoes
Fruit - berries (fresh or frozen), mango, pineapple, bananas, occasionally regular apples
Meat - ground beef or turkey, bacon, chicken
Other - nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans), Greek yogurt, cheese, coconut or almond milk, occasionally sweet potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment