Sunday, July 14, 2013

Chocolate Truffles

I've been trying to work extra long days at the beginning of the week so I can take Friday afternoons off to grocery shop and run errands. A couple of weeks ago, I gave in and bought coconut oil and coconut milk - mostly so I could make this recipe by Michelle over at Nom Nom Paleo.

Michelle makes her truffles into balls, but I ended up sticking the entire "pan" (my pan was a Chinese takeout container) in the freezer and realized they'd make a great, rich fudge too. I cut them into squares. I'd recommend doing that at the 4 hour mark, before freezing them.

Ingredients:

  • 10 oz dark chocolate (70% or higher)
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Very carefully shave the dark chocolate into small pieces. Going on the diagonal seemed to work best for me. Put the dark chocolate into a bowl with the coconut oil. Don't worry about melting it.

In a saucepan, bring the coconut milk to a simmer. Pour it into the bowl and gently stir until the chocolate is melted and everything is thoroughly combined. Add vanilla. Pour mixture into a tray/pan and place in refrigerator for 4+ hours. 

Scoop out truffles and shape into balls. Roll in cocoa powder or shredded coconut. 
OR
Cut truffles into squares.

Keeps in the fridge for about a week or in the freezer for 3 months.

If keeping in the freezer, Michelle says to put the truffles in the fridge for a half an hour before serving. I'm keeping my squares in the freezer and whenever Super A wants one, we just take it straight out of the container in the freezer without worrying about defrosting. The kind of melt in your hands, anyway. Maybe that's just the type of chocolate I got. 

Happy snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment