One month ago today I decided to try eating Paleo. The specific challenge was just to eat Paleo for a month and see what I thought. After adjusting to a low carb diet (read: after 3 weeks of low carb flu) I can say this was a good choice. I sleep better and have an easier time falling asleep. I'm calmer. I certainly eat more veggies. I feel more relaxed. I suspect my body's natural chemistry is leveling itself out. I don't need to drink tea for the caffine, I can drink it because I want to (although I'm trying to stay away from black tea currently). I have a bunch of new recipes. I enjoy cauliflower. I can cut a pineapple. I have a new appreciation for dishwashers. I know more about what I'm putting into my body and how it affects me.
This past weekend Super A and I went to a party his family was hosting. There was lots of really good food there, but not much of it was Paleo. I cut myself a break and did what I could (lots of salad and some fruit) but also indulged in mac and cheese, desserts (real brownies!), pasta salad, fried chicken, and pork bbq (although that last one was probably the closest to Paleo out of all of them). I was hungry more often, I had mood swings, and I kept wanting to eat more. It was delicious food, don't get me wrong, and I still do love mac and cheese, but I think that eating Paleo is probably better for me right now than eating the average American high-carb, low-fat diet.
My verdict: this was a good choice.
My next goals are to find more published research on food, chemistry, and how the human body reacts to it. I'm considering cutting out cow milk for various reasons and replacing it with almond or coconut milk. I'm planning to invest in a food processor (gasp!). Oh yeah, and I might want to figure out how to explain to people (including my parents) why eating this way is a good choice for me.
The journey continues!
No comments:
Post a Comment