I like yogurt, but it's a common place for high fructose corn syrup to sneak in. I was disappointed when I read the ingredients on my favorite flavor (Trader Joe's Vanilla Greek Yogurt) and saw that sugar was the second ingredient and corn syrup was on the list as well. I got some of the plain Greek yogurt instead, because it at least doesn't have any added sugars or syrups, forgetting that I consider it to be fairly bitter and tart. I will say though, it's much better with honey added and it makes a great veggie dip. Just keep in mind that the honey sinks to the bottom if you add the honey and then put the container back into the fridge without mixing (oops).
Variety is the spice of life. Wednesday, something struck me. I was eating the same handful of meals every week! Yes they're familiar and safe, and I know they don't cost much, but man do they get dull after a while.
It's not as scary to tell people as I thought it would be. Maybe I just have nice friends though, or maybe it has to do with being in college where everyone tries new things. The few friends I've told have been very accepting of my choice - especially my buddy who has been away researching in beautiful Costa Rica and will be sharing the kitchen with me when she gets back.
Don't grocery shop when you're hungry. I thought this problem would go away with eating Paleo, but it doesn't. It just means you look to foods that aren't bread products instead of those yummy looking donuts.
And finally, it's ok to not be perfect. The lovely Diane over at Balanced Bits reminded me with this article that I am human (that is to say, imperfect), I am a college student (that is to say, financially constrained), and it's ok that I love chocolate (ok, so maybe she didn't say that exactly). So you know what? If I'm eating Greek yogurt instead of Kefir, or even vanilla Greek yogurt instead of the plain stuff sometimes, it's better than I was eating before. It's better than choosing ice cream every night. And it's not a huge deal if I do choose ice cream every now and again.
No comments:
Post a Comment