Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Super Easy Paleo Pancakes

I had these this morning for breakfast (all of them) with some berry compote. Normally when I'm at work, I start getting hungry around 10:30, 11, and I try not to eat lunch until noon. Today I got to 12:15, looked at the clock, and realized I still wasn't that hungry yet. Neat!

These are the quickest, easiest, and possibly most flavorful pancakes I've had, possibly ever (including pre-Paleo). There was a race this past weekend that Super A did and I volunteered at, and I made these the night before so we could grab something quick at 4 am. I believe his reaction was raised eyebrows, wide eyes, and a grin - "These are the best pancakes I've ever had. Seriously." He was so disappointed after the race to find we had eaten them all.

Ingredients:
  • 2 bananas
  • 3 eggs
  • cinnamon (optional)
  • butter (for the pan)
Mash the bananas in a bowl. If you're like me and don't have a food processor, break them in half and squish them with your hands, then stir with a fork. Add the eggs and mix. Add the cinnamon for flavor and mix more. The "batter" should look pretty uniform in color, although you might see banana chunks here and there. Not a problem.

Put a pan or a griddle on the stove with low-medium heat. Melt the butter and pour some batter. The smaller you make the pancakes, the easier they'll be to handle and the better they'll turn out. When the bottom starts browning (the banana is caramelized), carefully flip using a spatula. When the other side is cooked (brown or not, doesn't matter), your pancake is done.

In total, this makes about 6-8 pancakes, depending on the size. Didn't time myself, but it's very easy to make them the night before while doing other things.

I also suspect that they might behave better in the pan if you mash the banana using a food processor, but I have yet to test this theory.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment