Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Moving

Got hit by a moving day this past Friday weekend. I had to move out of the building where I'd been living and into the building next door, and once I was done and moved in, my roommate needed help with her moving.

Moving as a college student is always an adventure. If you're lucky, you're not the only one moving that day and it's amazing how helpful other people can be. There weren't many people moving Friday evening, so it was just me and Super A. (I have to put out there that he carried my overly large mini-fridge that's probably not dorm-legal by himself from the one building to the other, including up the steps and without putting it down more than twice. He's a champ). In addition to just moving and packing, my roommate and I had to go through the things that two of our other roommates had left behind.

Needless to say, I was very grateful to Super A and got us milkshakes and burritos at the end of the night (and then we spent two hours the next morning finishing up).

In nine hours, we two people had managed to move essentially all my belongings. And they all fit into the half a room and quarter of the kitchen in the apartment I moved into.

I am impressed.

The next day, I got a frantic phone call from my roommate. She couldn't finish moving out of the dorm because she had a cart full of stuff to empty in her new room, but they wouldn't give her the key to the new room until she moved out of the old one.

People, come on. How on earth does that make sense?

Anyway, Super A and I went and helped. I think she might have had more stuff than I did, but we got it out of the building and up to her new room eventually. While we were waiting for her to get her key, we held open doors and helped people lift carts up the steps to the building (there was no ramp for some reason). It was a nice adventure, and a long weekend.

Dear fellow college students: helping people move on move-in/move-out/term-switch day is a very nice thing to do, and you might make a few friends in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment