Friday, June 28, 2013

Paleo Lessons: Week 2

This week was quirky and made me very glad to be using the 80/20 Principle. Just as I was getting ready to take my chicken out of the oven and flip it, the fire alarm in my building went off. What followed was four and a half hours of waiting to be allowed back in to the building. I gave in around 8:45 and ran to a nearby convenience store for a protein bar. When, around 11:30 pm, we were told it would be another 45 minutes to 2 hours before we could go back, my friend/past-future roomie and I went to take advantage of the accommodations provided for those displaced for the evening. In the end we got back in to our building, but I lost the chicken (which was my previous dinner, lunch, and next dinner).

With that, lesson number one this week is be flexible. Whether it's a fire in your building or a meal that didn't turn out the way you wanted, shrug, eat what's edible (aka, not half cooked chicken that sat out for 11 hours), and improvise until your next food shopping adventure.

A great alternative to cereal is a bowl of nuts, berries and other fruit, and coconut milk. I'm not sure how much coconut milk I'd drink on a regular basis, but I got it specifically for a recipe this week and "waste not, want not"! You could also sub in Greek yogurt for the coconut milk, or almond milk, or if you kept dairy like me, regular milk. It makes a good post-workout snack or part of a breakfast.

Frozen shrimp. Defrost it ahead of time so it retains its flavor and doesn't taste watery from being rinsed in the sink. Also, if you have plans to cook it, make sure it's not already cooked. They do make pretty good quick snacks though.

No comments:

Post a Comment