Thursday, August 15, 2013

Slow Cooker Chili

Alright, here's one of the recipes I keep talking about but not actually posting: the slow cooker chili recipe.

I don't know about you, but the homemade chili I'm used to eating is full of beans. It's delicious, except for the whole "beans being legumes and legumes not being Paleo" thing. I wanted a recipe that I could whip together in the morning before a long days of work and classes and enjoy when I got back that night, ready for an easy "no-prep" meal. Preferably a warm one well suited to fall and the strangely chilly weather we're having here (no complaints, I like it). The original recipe is Melissa's from Clothes Make the Girl. She has instructions on how to make the chili on the stove, but that won't help me. On a whim, I pulled out my slow cooker (a nice, sturdy, old thing that I love) and used it for the first time. The prep work consisted only of adding everything to the pot, clearing a space for it on the counter, and writing a note so no one would accidentally burn themselves or unplug it.

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons oil (coconut, EVOO, your choice)
  • 2 onions, diced (medium-large are best)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
  • 1 tbsp red chili pepper
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1tsp salt
  • 6 oz tomato paste
  • 14.5 oz fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
  • 1 cup broth (use beef for the best results, but I used chicken)
  • 1 cup water (possibly less, need to test again, when in doubt use a little bit more)
  • 2 lb ground beef
Combine all the seasonings in a small bowl and mix. Dice the onions (Abbs taught me how to do this without loosing a finger) and put them in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, the tomato paste, the meat, and the seasonings.

Mix it all together (using your hands works best). Add the broth and water. 

Turn the slow cooker on to medium heat (make sure at least medium if using raw meat like I did) and let it cook for 8+ hours. I think mine sat for closer to 9 or 10 and came out fine.

Notes:
The original recipe Melissa wrote calls for twice the amount of red pepper and cumin. I'm not that used to eating spicy foods, so it was too hot for me. I still need to test the halved amounts of chili pepper and cumin to see what the heat is like. Also, it freezes well, and it's pretty good in a breakfast omelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment