Dorms are small. As in, it's practically a magic trick how we fit 2 of us, 2 beds, desks, chairs, and closets in this space plus our stuff?! Currently, I'm living in a 3 person room. So right now, there's 3 sets of winter clothes, backpacks, jeans, shoes, laptops, you name it living in our room. I also cook (not microwaves, with pots and pans and good old recipes), so I have a large 12 qt pasta pot, mixing bowls, 2 frying pans, 3 saucepots, and tableware. Seeing as my family is in the process of moving 5 hours away and I essentially moved out of my bedroom over winter break, I kinda have a lot of stuff that I don't necessarily needneedneed but didn't want to throw out or put in storage. (Like books. I love books! It could potentially be a problem, as I just got more reference books and brought some "for fun" ones from home).
It was starting to feel a little out of hand, so this afternoon I sat down and cleaned. Starting with the closet, working my way across the room.
The Closet:
Figure out how you look at your clothes. Do you see them as pants, shirts, sweatshirt, underwear, socks? Or do you see them as hanging out clothes, workout clothes, out and about clothes? Use this to your advantage! Don't forget about that drawer of random crap I know you have, clean that out too.
The Desk:
Since I'm working right now and only taking one class, my desk has turned into a table where I drop my stuff when I walk in between work and going to the gym. If this is how you use your desk and you do homework elsewhere, that's fine. Make sure you know where stuff is though (I've lost chargers this way). If you use your desk for doing work, make sure it's clear of clutter. Maybe have a cup of pencils there for you to use, but keeping it as clear as possible will help you work.
The Bed:
Take off the sheets! Quick, go throw them in the washer! When they come out, put them right back on your bed. Tuck the sheet in the bottom, put the blankets on top. Fluff the pillows, yadaya. Your bed is a key part of your space as a college student. It's a clear alternative to the desk, a couch, a landing zone for laundry, movie seating, etc, not to mention the prime storage space underneath. I'm in a top bunk right now, and I can't tell you how nice it is to climb up there at the end of the day. It also means when I get up in the morning that I can't go crawl back into bed for "5 more minutes" after getting up. It works for me, although making my bed is tricky. I also don't have the storage space underneath the bed because I share it with the girl on the bottom.
Whether you're cleaning as a form of procrastination or your mess has made you crazy, make sure to set aside enough time to complete it to your satisfaction. The worst feeling is being in the middle of a room-cleaning mess and realizing you have a paper due in three hours or an exam early the next morning. Think ahead!
No comments:
Post a Comment