Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Well Used Mug

I have a new best friend. He's cute, keeps me company all day, holds my hand when I need it.

It's my tea mug.

The graphic is a picture of the simple dog from Hyperbole and a Half. It was given to me a couple of years ago as an awkward Christmas present. When I started work, I knew I would want to drink tea here, and my co-workers all had their own mugs and cups. I picked this one because, since it was an awkward present, I wouldn't feel too too terrible if it broke in transit, but I wanted a mug I liked.

This past week I've consumed more tea than I know what to do with. I went from maybe one cup a day to one cup every single day to two - three cups a day this week. Because I only have black tea here (keep meaning to fix that!), I've been resteeping the same bag or serving of looseleaf. At the end of the day, the poor mug usually gets forgotten in my post work heading out the door. So I come in the next day to a mug, empty, but still with a line of tea around the top from the day before.

I've tried washing it with and without soap, scrubbing with my fingers and paper towels, but it persists. I suspect it's not going away at this point, but that's ok. It's a well loved mug now, and the tea stain is part of its character. I've been thinking about bringing another mug to work, but it would be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment