Recently I've been looking into eating more healthy foods and whole foods (because I started training for triathlons and running races). Part of this is due to being crazy hungry a lot of the time, so instead of reaching for Cheese-Its or Animal Crackers, I want to grab something that is actually going to fill me up.
Apples are a solid, healthy choice. First of all, they're a fruit. There's a variety of "species" of apples, from tart Granny Smith to the ever-popular Fuji, to my current favorite, the Braeburn. It's kinda tart and kinda sweet, so it's a nice balance.
Second of all, they're cheap. I can get Granny Smith, Red Delicious, and possibly Fuji apples from my campus dining hall, but at the store (Trader Joe's is my closest grocery), I can get nicer, larger, apples for $.70 apiece. Cheaper (and healthier) than a 100-calorie pack from a vending machine!
Third of all, they're less than 100 calories and have a good amount of fiber. The sugar in them is natural sugar, not the corn syrup and long and hard to pronounce "ose"s listed on packaged food, so it's good when you're craving something sweet.
Fourth, you can do so many different things with apples!
Apples and PB (or yogurt)
Plain ol' Apple Slices (cut in quarters and remove core)
"Baked" Apple Slices (cut into thin slices and core, place in microwave safe bowl, heat for ~3 minutes, add seasoning as desired)
Homemade Applesauce (15 minute version)
Apple Pie Replacement
Apple Oatmeal Cookies
Do you have any favorite apple-based snacks?
No comments:
Post a Comment