Friday, September 13, 2013

Paleo Lessons: Week 13

This is ironic, today is Friday, September 13 and I'm writing the Paleo Lessons for Week 13.

Sometimes, you're just going to spend more than you'd like at the grocery store. It happens. Sometimes, it's for a very good reason though. Sometimes, the extra cost is due to nuts being on sale and restocking your coconut oil stores and getting flourless cake for a birthday that was totally worth splurging on. It's not always the cause, but sometimes it is.

After the massive grocery trip, Super A and I did what anyone would do in that situation: we went out for dinner (for the aformentioned birthday). On our way back to the new apartment (which I moved into all by myself [yes, I'm proud and excited about it]), we explored a little and found a butcher shop that actually looks fairly promising. We're both really excited about it, but I'm waiting until after this coming week to go there. This coming week is almost the end of tri season/my "week off" before classes start up again/a week of weird meal schedules/the last week before campus fills up again and my friends come back and I'll no longer be cooking alone after it. So hopefully 2 Fridays from now I'll have a really nice little blurb to say about what will hopefully become my local meat shop. Until then, Trader J's, here I come!

Sometimes, you're not going to want to cook. So instead, cook a bunch of meat and prep your veggies when you have the time to (over the weekend, right after you get them) so that you'll be ready for your "Nope, not using the stove today" moments.

And finally, even though I'm pretty sure I've said it before, this lesson is worth repeating especially because I apparently didn't get the message the first time: fat will help keep you full. My goals are to use more fat when I cook, including coconut oil and bacon fat. Not sure what I'm going to do on the Whole30 coming up, but I don't normally use butter (or even have it in my fridge since I discovered bacon grease), so I should be good on that front.

No comments:

Post a Comment